Continuing the tradition from last year, I would like to summarize my year and review the goals I set. As we all know, 2020 was an unprecedented year. If you told me that the ERYMC in January 2020 was going to be my last in-person conference for this year, I probably wouldn’t have believed you.
Writing this post now and looking at this photo, it is hard for me imagine being that close to so many people!
While there a many negative things that came along with the pandemic, the main silver lining for me was that it made me take a step back from the hustle and bustle of my life and take time to think about what I see for my future.
In terms of my 2020 goals, here is where I stand:
- Go meatless at least one day a week. This definitely was harder than I thought. I only accomplished this about 20 weeks and got better at this during the work from home as I became more intentional about what I buy at the grocery store twice a month. On a positive from this goal, I have pretty much eliminated meat from my breakfast options!
- Try out a new recipe at least twice a month. I got to try out a bunch of recipes throughout the year, including making homemade guacamole for the first time as well as several recipes where I could use my Instant Pot. Unfortunately, my yearly averaged closer to once a month than twice, until I started habit stacking. Based on an idea from one of my high school friends I started habit stacking trying our a new recipe that I would eat while I watched the Philadelphia Eagles football game.
- Focus more on my relationships. As the work from home began in Mid-March, this one became both harder and easier! My high school friends and I started meeting semi regularly through video conferencing applications, so although we weren’t hanging out in-person, I was still able to be more active in planning virtual time for us all to chat.
- Earn my ENV SP Certification by the end of 2020. Although I got written permission from my supervisor to take this exam in July, I definitely procrastinated this one, primarily fueled by my fear of failure. The time bound part of this one definitely helped and it motivated me to reach this goal as I finished the modules, passed the exam, and earned my ENV SP in November.
- Do 12 charitable deeds without writing a check. I’ll be honest, I neglected to track this one. While throughout 2020, I did donate money to several causes related to Black Lives Matter I forgot to track those times where it did not involved a monetary contribution. I plan to add this one as a goal for 2021 where I can be better about tracking it!
There are many things that I didn’t even fathom I would be doing in 2020 that I accomplished including:
- Being a podcast guest (If you haven’t checked that out already, you can watch it on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/Vugnp0FYxuY)
- Became the chair of The Network in which I lead 17 members from across the company creating engagement and development initiatives
- Adopting our dog Nemo from our local animal rescue
- Becoming the Youngest Drexel Alumni Board of Governors Member to date
- Leading a live STEM outreach panel through ASCE
- Dedicating over 120 hours to student outreach impact (less than last year, but still a success in my book)
Here is to celebrating accomplishments (no matter how small) and focusing on the silver linings that came with 2020 as we start a new year!